Wednesday, November 15, 2006

inferences! how quick you make one ?

A question that hit my mind while i was working with MICAz mote .

"How long does it take for you to derive conclusions???"

Well, i was working on interfacing the MIB510 board last week in my lab. It had a serial interface and i had a serial to USB connector to interface the programming board to my laptop. And very well , as you might have guessed by now, it didnt work! I tried re-installing drivers and basically this and that , but still .. no luck. Then, i thought i should look around if there are people facing problems as such. I did a little "search" on GOOGLE. Some mailing-lists and there it was! Somebody wrote : its not possible when you have USB to SERIAL connectors!!!

I was glad that i was not wasting any more of my time in that. Very Quick, i close the lid of my laptop. Turned back to one of the LAB PCs which had a serial interface, hooked the programming board through the serial interface, loaded the micaz mote.. and BINGO!!! it worked. I could upload my first program on the mote " the blink program " which lit the LEDs. Happy as ever , i moved out of the lab! did a merry-go-round for some days .. seemed like i got plenty time spare for my next advent .. complex programming now :P

Today, i brought all those boards n motes at my place. I knew i didnt have a desktop here .. and i knew it wouldnt work with the usb to serial convertor .. but still , something drove me into doing that! some intuitions!

As i powered up the board, and re-installed the driver for the connector , and tried to load the same "BLINK" application , it didnt work! DAMN!!! but then, i tried a few trials around , some changes and some little conceptuals (minor) and i could perform loading it through the same connector very well on my laptop.

Awesome! I was reminded of my previous conclusions. I thought of how those ppl(within the mailing lists) who did WRONG had the same inferences too. NOW , a little google proved to me , that there are indeed some OTHER people who are successful in interfacing those sensor boards through a USB to SERIAL convertor ;) lol

DAMN!!! i realise i make conclusions pretty quick! and from this event, i realised that i made a WRONG conclusion then!

This state of mind correlates with my last blog "milestone" where you move back and re-do things realisin' the fact that you were not always right on your judgement of things!!! I would rather say : A wise man CAN move onto the past and correct himself! - if given a chance!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment